Recently I ran across a really tough issue that I had with one of my workflows that kept failing right before the approval step of the workflow was being sent.
Below is an example of the workflow I had with the listing of the error I was getting:
I tried going over this many times and even went and created a whole new list for this and imported the workflow into this new list with a newly build form to make sure I could minimize any other variables in the error.
Well the bad news was even in the new list I created and imported the workflow into, I still got the same error. So, I started digging in with some help, and was ultimately able to find the source of the issue on the step of the set item permissions in the workflow.
It turns out that when this workflow was originally created the set item permissions had several users explicitly defined in it to grant permissions to the item on before an approval would take place.
What I didn’t realize until I looked deeper into who all was being given access to this item was that one user who was specifically designated in the action was no longer with the company.
So, when the workflow would go out and try to match this person with a valid AD account, it would error out and not allow the workflow to go any further.
The location of the error was in the ULS of SharePoint, but only when verbose logging was turned on, of course…
So in the future I will always from now on, check to make sure that all users being granted access to items in workflows have valid accounts.
If you ever run across something like this I hope this tip will save you sometime and allow you to get right to the solution.
I had an interesting error come across today when I was working on a new Nintex form list. I have been doing some power user training in my company lately and a few of my users have taken the plunge and started creating their own electronic forms in Nintex.
Which is awesome! It’s a great feeling when you demonstrate something to someone in a training session and then see what they are able to go and create on their own.
In this case, though the user had designed a great looking form, but when they went to submit the form once it was complete it gave the following error:
Which was very odd as I had never seen an error that gave all zeros for a correlation id on and error in SharePoint.
So I started to do some digging online and I noticed this was a common question that has come up before for several users in the past, but no one online I had seen had dealt with this in the context of creating and submitting forms.
After some more research I had a hunch that this was being caused from a required field on the form that was missing data when the form was being submitted. So I checked the form in Nintex form designer, and sure enough!
I saw that the “Title” column was not on the form, but in the list settings was still set to the required option like it is out of the box in SharePoint.
So I went into the list settings and turned off the required setting for this column and then went back to the form and tried submitting it again.
Everything submitted as it was supposed to and now I can move onto more form troubleshooting.
I hope this helps anyone else who runs into this error again and if you have any thoughts or comments, please feel free to add them into the blog.
This past week I had an issue of some of my Nintex workflows just not running for some reason. They would get to a certain point and just decide not to complete the next step.
Recently i added a new application server into my farm and I did not realize that in order for these workflows to run correctly they needed to have the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Workflow Timer Service only running on the web front ends (web servers), since that is where the Nintex service actually runs.
So if you are running Nintex Workflow in your farm and you have a multi-tier farm for your SharePoint setup, go to central admin and check your service settings like below:
To be clear once more, this Should be running on your web servers if you have Nintex workflow, but should not be running on your application servers.
I found this out the hard way after having to contact Nintex support one day.
Hope this helps others,