Recently I was working on a migration of a couple of big sites moving them to their own content databases and it didn’t exactly turn out as I planned.
So more than anything, I wanted to use this post to describe what happened and mention some tips and other things that may help others out in the future if you ever run into trouble when trying to break out sites into their own databases.
Here are the major events that happened in the migration process:
- Created DB under central admin
- Used Move-SPSite to move one site from another content database
- Content stuck on Move-SPSite, never finished
- Restarted all servers
- When came back up, new destination database was in recovery
- Recovery process used all SQL resources, major slow down of farm (sad time)
- Looked into SQL logs to check status of recovery thinking new destination database would come back up
- Actually after recovery finished, I still had no access to content created in new content database
- Checked and under central admin checked site locks and quotas
- Turns out entire site still on old source DB
- Hadn’t been copied over, even though SQL showed a populated database
- Site lock had been switched on all the way to no access
- Users going to site would get a 403 forbidden message when trying to access
- Went under site locks and cleared the lock
- Once this was done, content access returned to normal
- Original content and under Central admin still said content was on source DB
- New destination content DB under still showed also that it contained no content
So in the end, the big lesson learned here was that even though I could check SQL and see that the new DB contained information, SharePoint hadn’t moved the site over to the new content database.
I did some research and there are timer jobs that run gradual site deletions, but I don’t think they applied here. Either that or I switched back to the original database before anything else was allowed to happen.
I hope these tips save you some time and headaches in the future.